Sunday, February 28, 2010

Java's Swing framework for Javascript and Canvas

It is 0051 on Sunday morning and I just had a wild thought...

I've been developing applications in Javascript using jQuery and taking an interest in Sproutcore. I love jQuery but most definitely subscribe to Sproutcore's architecture where it makes a very strong statement about web applications being distinct from web documents (there is a place for both).

...and then it occurred to me... why not try and implement Java's Swing framework in Javascript and use the Canvas element almost exclusively for web applications? Do away as much as possible with CSS and HTML - I don't think they're great for web applications anyhow...

I don't doubt that it'd be a lot of work implementing Swing in Javascript, but there's an awful lot of design to be leveraged there.

I think I'll sleep on it...

No comments: